Thursday, February 10, 2005

Balls Atop

The name's Balls--Balls Norwegian. And right now I'm here on top of a snow-capped mountain. My crew and I have been climbing for a good three days--spiking ice. That's what us familiar with the terrain call climbing.

Right now I'm considering what my poor Marcia must be thinking. I told her as I mounted the helicopter to fly to the base of this old snowy bastard that I'd never see her again. I had to tell her then cause otherwise she'd've tried to stop me. I told her that I'd be sacrificing myself to the mountain god--to nature. I'd been considering jumping to my death. What better way than to go out on top eh?

But now I'm realizing there's still so much more out there for me. There's still a lot of things out there for Balls Norwegian. I think I'll call Marcia once I get back down and take a warm shower. My God, I can't wait for a warm shower. I'll probably spend a good hour in a hot shower. And then I'll wear a robe and drink some coffee. Then I'll call my poor Marcia.

|

1 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I'm working on a comic strip right now about a guy who wears a fake beard .He leaves behind civilazation to live in the woods.There is some plot to it, that I won't get into, but one of his insights is that one of the only bonuses about lving in the woods is that he can masturbate outdoors.
Luke P | 02.10.05 - 4:49 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only met "Balls" once, several years back, at the base of some "mixed" ice and rock routes, high above Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies.
(Of course, "Balls" is just a nickname...though an exceedingly well-deserved one, if you've ever seen him hook a heel and bust a move while hanging 800 feet up a frozen waterfall...and his last name isn't "Norwegian" either; that's an affectionate but twisted reference to his high-latitude but distinctly non-Nordic country of origin: Chile!)
Anyway, it was obvious to even the most-unsentimental of Balls's fellow climb-maniacs that Balls was strung out between his addiction to danger and his feelings for his sweetheart...it was really getting to him!
Balls vividly described how she lived in fear every minute of the time he was gone on a climb. This was just after the news from Everest broke, about the Kiwi climb leader who made his last call to his pregnant wife from the top of the blizzard-shrouded peak.
Sam's post truly captu
steviepinhead | 02.21.05 - 7:07 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

captures the poignancy and ambivalence of being torn between two loves.
steviepinhead | 02.21.05 - 7:09 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that Sam has been kind enough to put us back in touch, Balls and I are going to head out to the mountains for a few days.
Hey, maybe we'll even bump into Lars's dad...?
Anyway, catch you all in about a week! Try not to take over Billboard and the Booker Prize short list while I'm out of town...
steviepinhead | 02.22.05 - 4:35 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-Ha! Going to the mountains! There are mountains near Seattle! Lars' dad lives in Seattle! Therefore you are Lars' dad! I know, I know, shoddy logic.
Don't worry about Billboard or the Booker prize. I think we've got at least another three weeks.
By the way stevie, do you want to contribute and have official posts on the site? Let me or Lars know.
SamB | 02.22.05 - 5:49 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a very flattering invitation! I will give it some thought while I'm ice climbing with Balls and trying to keep him from descending into despair over Marcia yet again. Not sure i'm up to your standard, but...
In the meantime, I'm still at work (yawn!) trying to get out of town...!
steviepinhead | 02.22.05 - 10:27 pm | #

 

Post a Comment

<< Home